A Regional Leader for Oakland
- Better Regional Transportation– Rebecca is currently the Chair of the Alameda County Transportation Commission (ACTC), which oversees the $8 billion in Measure BB funding. Under Rebecca’s leadership, this year ACTC free bus passes for school kids, stronger anti-displacement protections on housing for recipients of OBAG funds, cleaning up truck traffic congestion and air pollution in hard-hit neighborhoods, and scheduling a quick action to help fill an urgent funding gap that arose in the army base project so construction of grade separation, rail, and more would not be halted, and we would be able to reject the coal money without impeding the good parts of the project.
- Fighting for Better Air Quality– Rebecca sits on the powerful Bay Area Air Quality Management District Board and the first Oakland representative on the Board in 25 years. Rebecca is a staunch advocate for the caps on emissions and greenhouse gases that we need to prevent local refineries from processing tar sands, and more generally to positively affect the trajectory of climate change.
For Safer Neighborhoods
- No Coal in Oakland– Rebecca helped to get the Oakland City Council to ban the loading and storage of coal in our community.
- Gun Control– She passed gun legislation including banning leaving guns loose in unattended vehicles where they can easily be stolen, and added funding to crack down on shootings and illegal gun dealing.
For a Stronger Community
- Police Accountability– Rebecca helped to fight for the strongest and most independent police oversight commission possible. She also authored a proposal to hire more people from Oakland, and address the under-representation of women, LGBT people, and people of color in our police department.
- Protecting Renters– As housing displacement is hurting our community, Kaplan authored a Measure for the November ballot to protect renters from excessive rent increases and wrongful evictions.
- Protecting Sexually Exploited Youth– Rebecca secured hundreds of thousands of dollars for housing and services to help get sexually exploited youth off the streets.
For a Dynamic City
- Uptown Bike Station and Broadway Shuttle– Rebecca launched and secured funding for the Uptown Bike Station at 19th St, and the Free Broadway Shuttle that serves the core of Oakland and connects vital destinations to BART, Amtrak, the Ferry, and more.
- Fixing our transportation infrastructure– Rebecca helped write and pass Measure BB, an $8 billion measure to expand pothole repair, increase transit service, provide free bus passes for our school kids, improve bicycle and pedestrian safety, and create thousands of good-paying local jobs.
- New Industries– Kaplan leads Oakland’s successful effort to legalize, tax, and regulate cannabis, and has passed laws to enable backyard gardens, mobile food vending, and other sustainable industries.